BIDPA has always been conscious of its responsibility as a model corporate citizen. The Institute will focus on CSI initiatives that fall under the following categories in the coming years. The activities are in line with national priorities and are as follows:
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender Equality and empowerment of women
Selection of CSI activities will be based on the following requirements:
- Long-term impact
- Educational and economic opportunities for disadvantaged/ low- income groups of people, families and communities provided.
- Beneficiaries should be involved in project planning.
- While the focus of CSR efforts will be concentrated on areas nearer to where the Institute operates, BIDPA may also undertake projects where societal needs are high such as in hard-to-reach places.
1. Kgalagadi North School Essay Writing Competition
This year, BIDPA partnered with the Kgalagadi North Region to host the School Essay writing Competition under the theme; Developing future researchers; A prerequisite for a Knowledge Based Economy.
A total of 60 learners from 8 schools comprising five primary schools and three junior secondary schools participated in the competition. The competition was divided into 2 stages, essay writing and oral presentations.
2. Adopt a School Initiative
TSince 2013, BIDPA has been supporting Hunhukwe Primary School under the Adopt-A-School initiative with the aim to motivate learners to excel in their studies. This has been done through sponsoring the prize giving day with prizes for deserving learners and teachers as well as rewarding those excelling in extracurricular activities.
The learners receive prizes in the form of cash, school supplies, teaching aids, bedding, books, educational toys, and others. This initiative contributed significantly to improved performance with the school reaching over 50% pass rate in 2015 from less than 10% in 2012.