This programme consists: MastersDoctoral degreesShort coursesAttachmentsSeminars and workshops.
Capacity building in policy analysis remains an important part of the BIDPA mandate. BIDPA aims to capacitate Public Officials and Non-State Actors on effective policy making and management by conducting regular training programmes and workshops on topics related to the Research Focus Areas. This will result in enhanced public sector capacity in monitoring and evaluating national policies and programmes.
To strengthen Institutional Capacity and develop expertise within the Institute, BIDPA has an active programme for capacity building within the areas of economic and social development. This programme consists of a combination of formal training for Masters and Doctoral degrees as well as short courses, attachments, seminars and workshops.
The Botswana Institute for Development Policy Analysis (BIDPA)
GLOBAL THINK TANK RANKINGS
The 2018 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report placed BIDPA ahead of other reputable think tanks in the Sub-Saharan Africa region. The institute has sustained a steady upward trajectory by progressing from 5th spot in 2014, 4th in 2015, 3rd in 2016 and 1st for the last two consecutive years. It is worth noting that BIDPA is currently ranked 42nd on the list of Top Think Tanks Globally (US institutions excluded).
Currently, four staff members are on training pursuing their PhD studies in various specialty areas
with one of them expected to complete her studies in August 2020.
- Ms. Bangwe Siwawa-Moepeng and Mr. Jan Seanego attended training on “Overview of ERM Fundamentals: The Basis of Launching ERM for Strategic Value” organized by Poole College of Management, on the 28 th February-1 st March,2019 in North Carolina, United States of America.
- Ms. Goitseone Khanie attended training on “Private Sector Participation in Improving Industry Performance organized by the Institute for Capacity Development, ICD, 18 th -22 nd February, 2019 in Windhoek, Namibia.
- Dr. Margaret Sengwaketse and Dr. Molefe Phirinyane attended training on “International Programme for Development Evaluation” organized by International Training Programme for Development Evaluation Training (IPDET) from 16-27 th July, 2018 in Bern, Switzerland.
- Mr. Thulani Ketsitlile attended training on “International Financial Reporting Standards, IFRS and International Public Accounting Standards, IPSAS” organized by African Training Institute, from 22 nd October to 3 rd November,2018 in Johannesburg South Africa.
- Ms. Neo Maruping attended training on “Effective Customer Service” organized by Botswana National Productivity Centre, BNPC on the 23-26 th October ,2018 in Kasane.
- Dr. Kelesego Mmolainyane attended training on “Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability PEFA” organized by Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, MFED on the 21 st August, 2018
- Dr. Kelesego Mmolainyane attended an online training on “Financial Inclusion” organized by The Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute of Eastern and Southern Africa (MEFMI) on the 16 th November, 2018
- Ms. Kedibonye Sekakela attended a summit on “Botswana’s Investment Summit” 21 st February, 2019 held at Avani Hotel, Gaborone.
- Dr. T.B. Seleka, Prof. Eugene Kouassi, Dr. Kelesego Mmolainyane, Ms. Tshepiso Gaetsewe, Ms. Thabile Samboma, Mr. Mpho Raboloko and Ms. Pinkie Kebakile attended the 2018 National Business Conference organized by BOCCIM on the 9-11 th September, 2018 in Francistown.
- Ms. Goitseone Khanie, Ms. Koketso Molefhi, Ms. Lillian Mookodi, Ms. Masedi Tshukudu, Dr. Molefe Phirinyane, Mr. Mpho Raboloko and Ms. Tshepiso Gaetsewe attended a data week conference on “Digital Frontiers of Global Science” organized by Botswana Open Science and Open Data Forum on the 5th-8 th November, 2018.
- Ms. Thabile Samboma attended a conference on “Innovation, Resourcefulness, Integration and Inclusivity; Fundamentals for the Transformation of Governance and Public Administration in Africa to Achieve the Agenda 2063 and Sustainable Development Goals jointly organized by African Association for Public Administration and Management and the Government of Botswana on the 6-9 th November, 2018.
- Ms. Bangwe Siwawa-Moepeng attended a conference on “Accounting in Extraordinary Times: The Future of Finance” jointly organized by AICPA in America and CIMA in the United Kingdom on the 13-14 th November, 2018 held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Mr. Marumo Omotoye and Ms. Thabile Samboma attended a policy dialogue on International Policy Dialogue on Regional Economic Communities and Peace Building in Southern Africa jointly organized by The University of Botswana Nordic Africa Institute on the 23 rd – 24 th May 2018 held in Gaborone.
- Mr. Marumo Omotoye and Ms. Thabile Samboma attended The Directorate on Corruption and Economic Crime (DCEC)’s Regional Conference on “Corruption and the Challenge of Economic Transformation in Southern Africa” on the 18 th June 2018 held in Gaborone.
- Mr. Marumo Omotoye and Ms. Thabile Samboma attended a Panel Discussion on “Directorate on Corruption and Economic Crimes on the Whistleblowing Act” on 9 th July 2018 held in Gaborone.
- Mr. Marumo Omotoye attended a conference on Botswana Centre for Public Integrity (BCPI) on “Transparency and Accountability: Building a Culture of Integrity – The Role of Civil Society” on the 12-14 th September 2018 held in Gaborone.
- Mr. Marumo Omotoye attended a conference on “Democracy, Human Rights and Governance: Trends, Challenges and Prospects” organized by Africa Governance Architecture (AGA) on the 28–30 th November 2018 in held in Gaborone.
- Ms. Thabile Samboma attended a 7 th Post-Tana Forum in Botswana on “The Content and Shape of the Peace and Security Agenda in the Post-Reform Era: Reflections” on the 18-19 th July 2018 held in Gaborone.
- Dr. Kelesego Mmolainyane attended a public forum as a discussant on “Budget Pitso” organized by the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, MFED on the 18 th September, 2018 in Gaborone
- Dr. Kelesego Mmolainyane attended a public forum as a reviewer “Planning Officers Manual Review” organized by the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, MFED on the 8 th August, 2018 in Gaborone.